Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Secrets and Transformations

My mother and I have lived in this house for 12 years.  We've dealt with the cold in the winter and the heat in the summer.  The windows that take a Herculean effort to get up and then the same effort to get closed again.  I've used the sink that's in my bedroom and crawled from my closet into the closet in the spare bedroom.  I've squeezed myself in the little dormer closet to arrange boxes of books.  I thought I knew every nook and cranny in this old house, but with the remodeling this week it appears that is not correct.  Behind the light switch inside the front door, there is a secret "room".  It is actually a a small space between the chimney and the front door arch, but secret room sounds so much more mysterious and interesting.  Of course, by the time I got home it had been boarded up and there was only 1 confusing picture and a very odd description of the area.  That is until today when I came home to a new front door.


In the process of putting in this awesome door, my cousin and uncle had to tear out some surrounding boards.  Now I can see into the secret "room".  Not sure what it was for but I couldn't resist taking some pictures and sharing them.  There is a special way to move some boards to get into the area.  You can see the lock here, but I couldn't begin to tell you how it works.

Something about moving one board up so the others move back.  Sounds like something Sherlock Holmes invented.

If I can get some better pictures, I'll be sure to post them.  Once you got into the little "room" there is a ladder that you can see on the right side of the above picture.  When you went up the ladder, there is a platform above the front door.  Sure wish someone had left a note explaining what the room was made for.  Until then I guess we'll all just wonder and speculate and tell the story of the secret "room" in our Old House.

No comments:

Post a Comment